LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Monday, February 14, 2011

Rock-n-Roll

It's 4:00 a.m. and I wake from a fitful sleep. The adrenaline has been pumping since Friday evening when we went to the Health and Fitness Expo to pick up our race gear. And, just before I woke, I was dreaming that we would be late.

I get up to start getting dressed--the alarm wasn't set to go off until 4:45. When I finish changing clothes, I find that despite how early it is, my husband and sister are awake too and getting dressed. The anticipation is too much for any of us. We get dressed and ready for one of the most exhilarating experiences of our lives.

We meet my sister-in-law and her husband and head downstairs to go to the Astor Crown Plaza hotel to meet with DetermiNation. It's 5:00 a.m. It's about 35 degrees. When we get to the hotel, there is already a crowd and there is a second-line band in the lobby--this is New Orleans after all. At about 5:30 a.m. we follow the DetermiNation team and the band from the hotel to the starting village. This is awesome! While I feel a little bad for the people who are still in the hotels in downtown New Orleans attempting to sleep, I'm so pumped about what we're about to embark upon.

We arrive at the starting village and the number of people is staggering. :) I am amazed at the number of people who have come to New Orleans to run this race. As the sun finally rises around 6:45 a.m., we begin moving to our corrals. There are 22 corrals, and I'm in 22. I am expecting to finish this race, 13.1 miles, in about 3 hours and 15 minutes. 7:00 is here and the first corrals start the race. The rest of us wait a few minutes and the wave start has begun. Finally, about 7:35, corral 22 is ready to start the race. There is no gun, but rather a countdown 10...9..8...7...6..5...4...3...2...1...GO!

We're off. I can see the sea of people stretch in front of me. One of the good things about the wave start is that my time didn't start until I crossed the start line. So, while it has been 30+ minutes since the race began, my race only began a minute or two ago. As I walk, I concentrate on keeping my pace steady and quick. I don't want to walk too fast, but I'm not trying to stroll either. As we continue the clothes on the side of the route is amazing--walkers/runners are taking their layers off in order to keep up with the warming temperatures. The clothes will be donated to Goodwill and the homeless in New Orleans.

My GPS tells me I've completed 0.5 miles; at that time, I decide to jog. I set my goal to jog the next 0.5 mile. I do, in about 6 minutes. I can't believe 1 mile of 13 done and I don't feel tired at all! :) Thank goodness for all of the training I've been doing. I continue to alternate 1/2 mile walking and 1/2 mile running as long as I am able.

As we continue the race, local bands are set up along the route to provide some music for our run. Also, the spectators along the route are awesome! They call out to keep going, you're doing great, etc. to help motivate us as we complete this amazing journey. There are signs to read and costumes to see! It's also great to see New Orleans from this route--there were so many things I haven't seen before even though I might be considered a "local."

There are mile markers at each mile and timers as well. The Rock-n-Roll event committee has set up points along the race to keep track of times. The first is at the 5K (3.1 miles) distance. I reach that marker at about 40 minutes which is GREAT! I continue and at about 5.5 miles, when I start to jog again, I get a tap on my shoulder. It's my sister-in-law...she started with me, and was ahead of me. When did I pass her?? We stay together for a little while, but eventually, to keep my pace, I pull away from her. We had told each other at the beginning that we shouldn't feel obligated to stay with each other if we felt we could move faster. The next split is at 10k (6.2 miles). I reach that marker and my GPS tells me that I hit 6.5 a few minutes later. When I reach that 6.5 miles, the time is shorter than my time on January 8 when I completed a half marathon relay! Woohoo! What a motivator.

By this time, I also realize I'm not that winded and I'm able to keep up the 1/2 walk and 1/2 mile jog. Between miles 9 and 10, there is a HUGE rockstar straddling the street in front of the pedestrian mall in the French Quarter. I wish I had a camera to snap some pictures--I'll have to remember for next time. I turn the corner to the last three mile stretch on Esplanade Ave. I complete 11 miles and know that completing the half in under three hours is within my reach--REALLY?????? I was expecting 3:15, but at the pace I'm at now, it will be under three hours!?! This motivates me more. At 11.5 miles when I should jog again, my legs are just rubber and I can't keep up the jog. But I keep up a good walking pace. At this point my resolve is to run the last 1/2 mile or so to the finish.

My GPS says I've reached 12 miles but I can see the 12 mile marker a ways away from me! UGH--the GPS is off now, so I have to guess when is the right time to start my ending jog. I see the entrance to City Park and figure now is as good a time as any. I start the jog, thinking the end is near, but when I enter City Park, I don't see it. I slow back to a walk until I get around the museum. Then I see the silver barricades and all of the people surrounding the end. I start to jog again. I want to cross this line running! I take out my headphones to hear the announcements from the finish line and to hear the spectators cheer us on. Suddenly, I hear someone yell my name--it's my husband! I'm so happy he's there to see me cross. I knew he would finish before me, and hoped he would be there especially since I am finishing about 15-20 minutes earlier than I thought I would.

I cross the finish line! I can't tell exactly what my time is, but my GPS on my phone says 2:46! WHAT?!?! I'm amazed. I find Rickie and cry because I did it! I completed a half marathon, AND I did it in under 3 hours--something I never thought I would be able to do. :) I wait for my sister-in-law to come in. We meet up with my sister and her husband. Everyone finished in under 3 hours! We go to a tent to get times engraved on our medals. My official time from the chip is 2:54:06--still under three hours!! I'm so happy! Rick's was 2:00:06--two hours!!

The rest of the day is relaxing and trying to avoid pain. This is an experience I will never forget. I am so pumped I'm ready for another one. So, the question is, when??? Right now, we're thinking April 30 in Nashville! Anyone want to come with us?? :)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! What a great time! You keep this up and you'll eventually run the whole dang thing.


    I am running the Country Music Marathon in Nashville on April 30 so if you go, we should plan to meet up after!

    ReplyDelete